The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve

They say it’s one of the most popular brands on the planet. First in the US, beating Glenfiddich, but globally second (Glenfiddich is numero uno). Well, I simply had to start my romance with Glenlivet from the very bottom - and here it is, The Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve, or so-called “the blue one”.

Price of The Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve

It was £22 on Amazon, a regular price, not bad at all. The retail price is much higher than this, usually around £40.

What’s in a box?

I bought a trio: Founder’s Reserve, 12 Years Old and Caribbean Reserve. Put them all together, and you know what the world of whisky is about. The look is essential. All of them are boxed. Blue, Green, Orange... They look lovely standing next to each other, and you know they are siblings. Same bottle, same label, same box. Just imagine getting a trio like this as a Christmas present!

The description on each box tells you all you need to know and, as always, emphasises all the differences. One minus: you don’t know which is the first in line. Well, the age statement on the Green one is a good indication, but the Blue one is the “Founder's Reserve” and the Orange one is the “Caribbean Reserve”, so really…

Not like when you put together all the Johnnie Walkers’ bottles, and you know straight away all the price and quality ladder. Or maybe it’s supposed to be that way?


How does it taste?

I like fruity whiskies, and I am not a big fan of peat.

This one's for me, for sure. Love the smell. If you are into big and bold fruity notes, you will like The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve. It sits on my table, next to me, and I simply write and inhale. Its aroma is not monotonous at all, and a lot is going on there. A mixture of different fruits, citrus and pear dominate but don’t overpower all the floral notes. Some sweet notes as well are present there, and nothing unpleasant (like fresh alcohol) doesn't touch your nose.

In your mouth - lovely and fruity again. Light notes of citrus and pear, not overloaded with darker notes of raisins, a touch of something sweeter (toffee?) and some oaky bitterness on the end of your tongue. It goes down really smoothly, with no burning or harshness, and you can feel its taste for quite a long time.


The Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve: verdict

Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve is a whisky to enjoy. At least for me, because I like to smell my dram. I hold the glass for a long time, turning it in my hand, and I sniff and sniff. This whisky is something to enjoy slowly, in good company, with pleasant conversation in the garden when the sun goes down, and you hear the wind whispering gently in the leaves.

I have a bottle of Glenlivet 12 Years Old to try now. It’s sitting nicely and quietly in my whisky cupboard. Can’t wait to crack it open. If it’s only a little better than the Blue One, it is going to be the beginning of a long and beautiful friendship.


Anyway...

Go and get The Glenlivet Founder’s Reserve. If you don’t know it yet, time to fix it. I am a late starter, so for me, it’s not a shame to get to know it now. Better late than never. Just try. It’s worth it.


Please, leave a comment and let me know what you think about The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Johnnie Walker Red Label

Johnnie Walker Black Label